Have you heard about the changes to the laws regarding restraint and seclusion in Mississippi schools? Ask us how you can become trained to help your school comply with the new required mandates.
Mississippi Rule 38.13 [PDF], regarding restraint and seclusion in schools, was adopted in April of 2016. To comply with the new mandate, schools must be trained by an approved MDE provider. QBS, Inc. and our program Safety-Care is on the approved vendor list.
- Applies to all public schools in Mississippi.
- Sets physical restraint as a last resort.
- Requires all staff members to be trained in restraint and seclusion if the school district permits them.
- Requires that training is approved by MDE and incorporates:
- Teaching positive behavioral intervention strategies, crisis intervention, and de-
- escalation techniques;
- Evidence-based practices;
- Keeping staff and students safe during required restraints;
- Identification of antecedent behaviors;
- Certification and recertification of school personnel.
- Requires parental notification within 48 hours of any restraint.
- Requires data collection on all restraints that occur.
Safety-Care Crisis Prevention Training Can Help Your School Comply With the Legislation
QBS, Inc. offers training and resources to help schools meet legislation like the Mississippi bill. Safety-CareTm Behavioral Safety Training program provides the skills and competencies necessary to effectively prevent, minimize, and manage behavioral challenges with dignity, safety, and the possibility of change.
Designed Upon an ABA and PBS Foundation
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) and Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) essentially defines evidence-based practice within the field of behavior change in education. Both approaches focus on reinforcement-based procedures, as well as improving the behavioral repertoire of students. Safety-Care’s prevention, de-escalation and restraint reduction practices are founded upon these approaches.
Designed to Teach Replacement Behaviors Not Just Stop Behavior
Any program can suppress and stop behavior! Because Safety-Care trains your staff in reinforcement-based behavior change strategies, it teaches students new, appropriate replacement behaviors. This is probably the goal of your entire program, making Safety-Care positive, effective, and compatible with other goals of your program.
Cost-Effective, Flexible, and Customizable
Safety-Care is one of the most cost-effective crisis prevention programs available. Because it is free of long and tedious theoretical and philosophical discussion and focuses on training competencies, your Trainers can be trained in 3 days, and at a lower cost than most other crisis prevention programs. In addition, we can assist you in customizing your Safety-Care course, so that you only need to train your staff in only what you think it’s important for them to learn.
Learn more about Safety-Care by contacting the representative for your area, Venessa Hinchliffe, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 508-316-4223!